Sunday, January 11, 2009

Best Ever Brussel Sprouts

I know, right? Best ever BRUSSEL SPROUTS??? For all my kid life and most of my adult life I would never have thought to utter the words "best" and "brussel sprouts" in the same sentence. The only brussel sprouts I had ever eaten (either by accident or on purpose) were mushy, overcooked, and tasteless. Yuck! I crossed them off my food list forEVER.

But, then, along came a salad recipe that include brussel sprouts cooked in a certain way (which I will reveal below). The salad was good, but the sprouts were such a big hit that we enjoy them on their own several times each season. Brussel sprouts are now back on my list.

INGREDIENTS:
  • 1 lb brussel sprouts (best to cut off any stem left at the end)
  • 2 cup apple juice (or any sweet liquid would probably work but I have not tried)
  • 1 cup water
  • pinch of salt
DIRECTIONS:
  • Place all ingredients in a pan on the stovetop and bring to a boil over medium-high heat.
  • Lower heat and boil 10 - 15 minutes until sprouts are cooked through (but not overcooked).

No comments: